2021 is almost here and, as always, with each new year comes new goals.
If you know me, you know I’m a total goal-setting geek. I love setting goals (and I especially love meeting those goals!).
The reason I love setting goals so much is because setting goals helps me learn. I believe that happiness comes from growth and growth comes from learning. That’s why, every year, I use the same goal-setting strategy taught to me by my mentor, Jack Canfield.
How to Make Goals that Set You Up for Success
Every year, I organize my life into seven areas and in each of those areas, I set three goals.
These are the seven areas I use:
- Business/Profession -- in this area, I set goals related to growing my business
- Health/Fitness -- here’s where I set goals to help take care of my mind and body.
- Finances -- this one speaks for itself!
- Fun/Recreation -- it’s important to have fun, so I love setting goals related to relaxation time. Maybe I’ll set a goal for how many books I want to read throughout the year!
- Personal -- these goals are all about personal growth. This is where I’ll decide which courses I want to take or how I’m going to take some me time.
- Relationships -- relationships with friends, family, and God are so important! They deserve goals too!
- Legacy -- for these goals, I decide how and where I want to make a difference in my community. Maybe this means donating books to schools or helping out with a local sports team.
This method of goal-setting has worked so well for me that I encourage my kids to do it too (and they love it!).
That’s a lot of goals...
Now, I know that setting 21 new year’s resolutions can be daunting for a lot of people, so feel free to use this same method but only set one or two goals per area.
But, you need to make sure to set at least one goal in every area. This will help your focus spread across all major areas of your life and keep your efforts balanced.
Oh, I almost forgot! It’s also important to have at least one BHAG -- a Big, Hairy, Audacious Goal!
This goal is SO BIG that, if you achieve it, you’ll become a different person.
For me, many years ago, my BHAG was to empower 100,000 kids through my book and get a Guinness World Record.
Completing this BHAG gave me so much confidence and turned me into a best-selling children’s book author.
A lot of people want to publish their own children’s book too -- that’s their BHAG! But a lot of people let year after year pass by without ever achieving it. Some people don’t accomplish their publishing goals because they feel lost and just don’t know where to start.
I can definitely relate! I wish I had someone to guide me as I published my first book.
For that reason, I’m going to release a free mini series all about how to become a best-selling children’s book author.
But, before I can do that, I have to ask you for a quick favour…
I’m really close to wrapping up this highly anticipated mini series (I’m releasing it in January. But, before I can, I have to ask you a couple of questions.
Can you help me out?
You can answer the questions here (and get a bit more info on the free mini series) at this link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/9N7HSDC
Now, back to goal-setting.
Okay, but how do I keep these goals?
I understand that it’s way easier to set goals than it is to actually keep them. That’s why I always make sure to have an accountability partner.
An accountability partner ensures that you stay loyal to your goals and meet them at a good pace. My accountability partner and I meet once every quarter to discuss how our goals are coming along and whether we’re on track.
I highly recommend finding an accountability partner for 2021.
So, go ahead and set your goals, find an accountability partner, and make 2021 your most successful year yet!