How to Reset Goals & Actually Achieve Them 

Did you know that only 36% of US adults carry on with their new year’s resolutions after January? Additionally, some studies have found that only 9% actually achieve those goals. If you find yourself in the remaining 91% that lose sight of their resolutions, this blog is for you. I’m going to share the BEST steps to success to help you reset goals & actually achieve your new year’s resolutions.

How to Reset Goals & Actually Achieve Your New Year’s Resolutions

  1. Believe You CAN

  2. Ask Someone for Help

  3. Practise, Practise, Practise


  1. Remember Why You Set Goals

  2. Celebrate Your Successes

Believe You CAN Reset Goals

If you’ve fallen short of your goals, odds are you stopped believing in your ability to achieve them. Believing in yourself is arguably the most important piece to reset goals.

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't — you're right.” 

— Henry Ford

Here’s what you can do to change your mindset. Write down…

  1. Something you used to not be able to do.

  2. How you felt when you couldn’t do that thing.

  3. Why or how you can NOW do that thing.

  4. How you feel now that you CAN do it.

It doesn’t need to be a recent example. As long as it’s something you couldn’t do but then learned you COULD do, it’ll work! Do this exercise every day to boost your self-esteem and change your outlook.

Ask Someone For Help

If your goal feels out of reach, or you’re consistently falling short, ask for help. It’s okay to seek guidance from someone who has more experience.

Too often we feel pressured to do things alone, but you CAN be successful if you reach out for help. Actually, I’d say your odds of success increase if you find a helping hand.

For example, if your goal is to write a children’s book, reach out to someone who has written a children’s book before. 

Or, if you’re trying to improve your health, you can connect with a personal trainer at the local gym.

You’ll be surprised to find how willing experts are to share their knowledge. Then, you can move on to the last strategy to reset goals.

Practise, Practise, Practise

We all know that practice makes perfect, and no one is exempt from that truth! If you want to reset goals, you need to practise the skills necessary to do it. No questions asked.

Here are some BONUS steps to success 👇

Remember Why You Set Goals

If you’re struggling to stay motivated and need to reset goals, remind yourself of why you set those goals in the first place. Did you want to make a greater impact? Feel more energetic so you can be more productive? Take advantage of each day?

Your WHY is a powerful tool. Remembering it can make all the difference. I encourage you to write down your WHY and post it somewhere you’ll see it every day.

Reset Goals & Celebrate Your Successes

No matter the size, it’s important to take all steps to success seriously and celebrate your accomplishments! Acknowledge how far you’ve come, and give yourself permission to recognize the amazing work you’re doing.

Once Your Goals Are Complete

When you finally sit back and are satisfied after completing all your goals, it’s time to step it up a notch. Now that you’re a veteran goal-setter and goal-achiever, it’s time to go BIG. Set a BHAG (big, hairy, audacious goal) for yourself. And if you face any hurdles as you reset goals, don’t worry! You can always reuse these steps to success to get you to the finish line.

Related Posts

Author Events: Why You MUST Attend
The Power of Community
How to Think Like a Writer
How to Reset Goals & Actually Achieve Them